Position Artistic Director
Company American Repertory Ballet (ARB) is the preeminent professional classical and contemporary ballet company in New Jersey, with locations in Princeton, Cranbury and New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA. ARB is the affiliate company of the Princeton Ballet School.
Classification Full time; exempt
Travel There is some travel associated with this position.
The mission of American Repertory Ballet (ARB) is to bring the joy, beauty, artistry, and discipline of classical and contemporary dance to New Jersey and nationwide audiences through public performances and to students through artistic and educational programs.
This mission is fulfilled through: American Repertory Ballet, the preeminent classical and contemporary ballet company in NJ; Princeton Ballet School, one of the largest non-profit dance schools in the nation; and ARB’s Access & Enrichment initiatives, programs designed to expose students and the local community to the art form of dance, as active participants and informed observers, and to develop life-long dance enthusiasts. It is through these three branches that the organization’s vision is pursued: to entertain, educate, enlighten, and inspire with the beauty and passion of dance.
Designated a “Major Arts Institution” by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts for two decades, and recognized by the National Endowment for the Arts “American Masterpieces” program, ARB contributes vitally to the quality of life in NJ and plays a leadership role in the dance community. ARB’s annual production of Nutcracker, first produced in 1963, is the longest-running production in the state and one of the longest-running in the country. ARB’s DANCE POWER program, now in its 34th year, is an in-school dance residency that provides dance education to students in the New Brunswick public school district. It is the longest-running arts/community partnership in NJ.
Founded in 1954 by Audree Estey, the mission of Princeton Ballet School is to create and train professional dancers and to provide age and developmentally appropriate dance classes to the general public for students ranging from recreational beginners to professional artists. For the student looking for a bridge from their high school training into their professional careers, ARB offers the Trainee Program which is managed by Princeton Ballet School. As part of their intensive training, these pre-professional dancers work closely with the Company throughout the year.
In September 2019, ARB will be a founding resident company of the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center and have access to a “home” theater while still maintaining its statewide reach. ARB’s Nutcracker tours to an average of six different venues throughout NJ each year and repertoire is also presented at theaters in Philadelphia and New York City.
- Guide the artistic direction of the Company
- Help create, articulate and promote the organization’s overall vision, as well as the vision of each component organization; the Company, school and access and enrichment programs
- Select and produce repertoire that challenges dancers and engages diverse audiences
- Demonstrate the ability to select high quality dancers, choreographers, teachers, and coaches and encourage their development
- Establish and nurture relationships with guest choreographers, musicians, and artists to enhance ARB programming
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to community collaborations and partnerships
- Create and manage each year’s budget with the Executive Director and Director of Finance, and work within that budget to meet annual goals
- Monitor and manage production expenses in relation to the budget
- Schedule the Company rehearsal weeks, including daily rehearsals
- Choose rehearsal directors and assistants
- Choreograph new work
- Coordinate Company programming for community events as necessary
- Oversee the vision, planning, and implementation of educational and community outreach strategies
- Hire, supervise and evaluate artistic personnel including ballet masters, choreographers, repetiteurs, dancers, and production staff
- Develop talent pipeline to broaden the diversity and inclusion of the Company
- Foster partnerships and collaborations in the larger artistic community that fulfill the Company’s mission
- Provide input into marketing and PR
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization’s artistic purpose via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and, as requested, at fundraising events and solicitations
- Foster the development of good relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate
- An accomplished and strong director who extensively knows the national and international dance community
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Experience as a highly skilled choreographer, teacher and coach
- Prior creative direction or artistic direction experience at an institution is a plus; proven ability to maintain high artistic standards and work collaboratively with other artists and administrators
- An understanding of professional company operations including show planning, financial, marketing and PR issues and management in a matrixed organization
- Exemplary work ethic, alignment with ARB values and the ability to work quickly and under pressure
- Ability to multitask and prioritize as new situations and initiatives arise on short notice
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate and influence, while exercising sensitivity to the audience
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”), as well as under any and all applicable state (New Jersey) and local laws, rules and regulations.
Competitive compensation package.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Julie Diana Hench, Executive Director: email@example.com